¡No me digas! is a CI curriculum for early elementary. It was created for pre-literate and emerging readers, PreK -2nd grade students.
- It uses multiple Comprehensible Input methods such as (but not limited to) TPR, PQA, Storytelling, Story-asking, and MovieTalk. What is Comprehensible Input? Check it out HERE
- Culture is in Context and taught in the target language. All vocabulary is based on high-frequency language and student-centered vocabulary
- The curriculum starts by using the SUPER SEVEN to talk about students’ lives by playing, singing and telling stories.
The Super Seven
tiene- he/she has
quiere- he/she wants
va a- he/she goes to
le gusta- he/she likes
hay- there is/are
está- he/she feels, he/she is located
es – he/she is
Are these the ONLY words taught? ¡Claro que NO!
It is a starting point which leads to more stories, more questions, and more content.
Target structures: se llama- his/her name is, me gusta- he/she likes, hay- there is/there are
Thematic: Food, Family
Culture: Guacamole, Churros etc.
– The unit includes lesson plans and materials for the first 6 weeks.
– Learn names the first day with “La Caja Mágica”
– PQA and other activities for pre-literate & emerging readers
– Fun phrases like ¡Qué asco! and ¡Me encanta!
– Comprehension Assessments
– Personalized Vocabulary for food and family
Target structures: quiero- I want, por favor / gracias- please / thank you, le da a- he/she gives to
Thematic: Food, Colors, Numbers
Culture: Pizza around the world
-The unit includes PQA and other activities for pre-literate & emerging readers
– Song- “Soy una pizza” motions and other activities
– Interactive and hands-on -Make Your Own Pizza Day- in Spanish. (no real pizza needed)
– Class Story and Post Story Activities
– Comprehension Assessments
Target structures: ¿Cómo estás? – How are you?, está cansado – he/she is tired, baila – he/she dances
Culture: Spanish dance – Flamenco
– The unit includes lesson plans and materials
– Stories, Activities, and Songs for expressing emotion
– Listening Comprehension Assessments
– A separate story about flamenco & lessons tied to children’s book “Lola’s Fandango” by Anna Witte
Target structures: bebe – he/she drinks, va a – he/she goes to, le da – he/she gives to him/her, está (emotions) – he/she is feeling
Review structure: tiene, quiere, le da a, está, le gusta
Thematic: Food/Drinks, Meals (breakfast)
Culture: Fernando Botero art, Breakfast around the world
** End of the FIRST year of instruction (Kindergarten) at my school.
UNIT 5 – ¿De qué color son los ojos? (coming soon)
Target structures: no tiene pelo- he/she does not have hair, son azules – they are blue
Thematic: Body parts, colors
UNIT 6 – ¿De qué tienes miedo? (coming soon)
Target structures: tiene miedo– he/she is scared (has fear), ve– he/she sees, es valiente– he/she is brave
Thematic: Body parts
UNIT 7 – ¡Sí podemos! (coming soon)
Target structures: no puede – he/she can’t, escribe – he/she writes, busca – he/she looks for
Thematic: Body parts, action verbs (infinitives)
Story: El rey no tiene una boca
Culture: Picasso paintings
UNIT 8 – ¿Quieres ir al parque conmigo? (coming soon)
Target structures: juega- he/she plays, corre – he/she runs, saltan detrás – they jump behind
Thematic: Favorite outdoor activities, food, animals
Story: La familia de ratones
Culture: Cuban food, Martina la cucaracha
** End of the SECOND year of instruction (1st grade) at my school.
UNIT 9 – Somos como las flores. *not yet available
Target structures: necesita- he/she/it needs, el agua- the water, el sol – the sun, la tierra – the earth
Thematic: weather, nature,
UNIT 10 – ¿Adónde van las mariposas? *not yet available
Target structures: hace frío / hace calor – it’s hot / it’s cold, vuela – he/she/it flys
Thematic: weather, nature, food, animals, habitats, life cycle
Culture- Monarch butterfly migration to México, México geography and ecosystems
UNIT 11 – ¡Soy Yo! *not yet available
Target structures: question words, deportes – sports
Thematic: hobbies, sports, family etc. (student interviews lead vocabulary)
Culture- Soy yo music video/song, sports
** End of the THIRD year of instruction (2nd grade) at my school.